Careers at Calysta
Calysta is headquartered in Menlo Park, CA. The company is a leader in the development of advanced synthetic biology to create the building blocks of high value sustainable products including nutritionals, industrial materials and consumer products.
We bring together capabilities in gene synthesis, computational design, and protein and pathway engineering. Join our team and build the future with us.
Contact us at email@example.com.
Research Associate – Strain Engineering
Calysta is hiring an RA for the strain engineering team. The ideal candidate must be experienced in Molecular Biology (including construct design, novel cloning techniques, PCR, primer design, gel purification, digestions, ligations, transformations and conjugations) procedures and troubleshooting. Strong microbiology skills including media preparation, aseptic techniques and experience with non-model organisms would be preferred. In addition, experience with basic protein biochemistry skills (i.e., cell lysis, protein gels, Western blots) will be preferred.
This role will require a BA or MA in Molecular Biology or related field and at least three years relevant experience. Candidate must be able to multi task and work independently within a small team environment.
Interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter to HR@calystabio.com
Analytical Research Assistant
Calysta is hiring a Research Assistant for the analytical team. The candidate will have broad analytical background and experience with biological sample extraction and analysis using different methods and instruments. In particular, experience with method development for GC/MS is preferred. The RA will also be responsible for equipment maintenance and assay execution, as well as data analysis, management, and presentation.
The role will require a BA in Analytical Chemistry or related field. Candidate must be an excellent communicator and able to work independently within a small team environment.
Interested candidates should send their CV and cover letter to HR@calysta.com
Research Associate – Fermentation Process Development
Calysta Energy, Inc. in Menlo Park, CA is seeking a Fermentation Research Associate to perform fermentations at a variety of scales. The successful candidate will have experience with fermentation process equipment, be familiar with conducting routine sample analysis and comfortable in a fast paced, multitasking environment.
This is a full-time position in the lab with responsibility for set up and monitoring fermentations and performing additions to fermenting tanks along with regular daily lab duties.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Day-to-day operation of bench-scale bioreactors, incl. basic operations like sterilization and preparation of bioreactors, calibration of probes and pumps, sampling, collect analytical data, take down and clean bioreactors at end of runs and operation using process control.
- Logging laboratory data (online, offline and other analytical data) into data management system and summarizing data in Excel spreadsheets, Word and other tracking software.
- Set up and monitor shake flask culture experiments at various scales
- Performing daily maintenance duties involving preparation of media and stock solutions, research-cell-banks, sterilization, fermentor and strain maintenance.
- Performing other laboratory housekeeping assignments related to the functioning of the lab.
- Setup, operation and maintenance of lab and pilot-scale bioreactors
- Familiar with Sartorius Biostat B, Bplus, C and Cplus Fermentor systems (2-15L scales) and MFCS fermentor control software.
- Experience implementing fermentations using gas feedstocks or developing gas-fermentation based processes for the production of industrial chemicals
- Development and implementation of protocols used to test growth of novel production hosts
- Familiarity with pilot plant equipment operation (up to 1500L Bioreactors, disk stack centrifuge, DSP operations).
- Experience in fermentation suite build-out, including equipment setup, initial testing and implementing off-gas analysis.
- Author, co-author or contribute to SOPs, patent applications, invention disclosures, internal reports and presentations.
- Perform equipment maintenance, upgrades and troubleshooting to ensure proper equipment maintenance and maximum up-time.
- BA/BS or MS in biology, chemical engineering, microbiology, biochemistry or other life sciences
- 1-3+ years of biotechnology and fermentation experience required
- Strong attention to detail and ability to follow precise directions under minimal supervision.
- Must be computer literate and know MS Word and Excel.
- Strong ability to communicate, both written and verbally, and to productively and collaboratively interact with other associates and scientists and with members of other teams, e.g., analytical.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and lift up to 55lbs.
- Must be available for evening and weekend shifts, and overtime as needed.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don’t contact this job poster.
- Please, no phone calls about this job!
Strain Engineering Scientist
Calysta is hiring a scientist for their strain engineering team. The ideal candidate must be an experienced metabolic engineer with excellent micro and molecular skills and a strong understanding of bacterial physiology, including expertise with pathway engineering and carbon flux optimization. Previous experience with growth and adaptation of engineered strains (including chemostat or turbidostat approaches) would be preferred. Experience with gaseous substrates and non-model organisms would also be beneficial.
This role will require a PhD in Molecular Biology or related field and at least three years experience. Candidate must be an excellent communicator (both oral and written) and be able to coordinate and execute experiments in parallel.